Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Herencia, by Alina Gallegos




Herencia

My name is from the desert plains in Guadalajara and also from the heart of Spain

I belong to the New Mexican desert thistles
                that stand up proud, representing my home state.

I am from my mother,
                born into the town of Las Cruces but my heart belonging to Mexico.

I come from a family given brown eyes and green
                where the kitchen is the heart of the house.

I’m from a place where my primos and tios are my compadres
                and theatrical tias gossiping for my entertainment

I was raised to embrace the phrase “Mexican American” and told to never be ashamed
                of my cultura

I come from a place where faith is more important than fact,
                the belief of a higher power passed through the generations.

I’m from a place where tortillas mean more than bread
                and tamales make everyone come together.

I belong to a cultural world where my heart will always belong to my herencia
                and I will live in this place where I can call myself a Chicana 



This is a poem I've been working on for a while and I really wanted to share.  I appreciate any feedback! 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this poem. Its beautiful and I really can embrace and relate to the image of the kitchen being the beating organ of the house a place that is filled with aromas and energía unlike any other.

    ReplyDelete