Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Where I am from


“a mirror to the front of me/and an ocean behind,/I lay wedged in the middle of daylight,/paper-doll thin, dreaming,/then I vanished. I gave the day a fingerprint,/then forgot” – Carmen Gimenez Smith


I’ve battled with the image of El Salvador, of Guatemala.
My father has created several paintings in our house
of his homeland. The truth is that this places live in mosaics
of green, mango orange, and sky blue water.

My mother picks up leaves around our block
in an effort to remember the leaves she pressed
down into a pit and bounced on top of.
Or to remember its width she recalls
the size of the leaves, palm size, 
now I become part of that moment.

To say I am from my parents countries
is abstraction. In my mind lie landscapes 
that hold secrets in the pockets of craters, 
in the bag of a volcano
holding forth its true voice.
Sharp, deep and haunting. 
The one thing I try is to hold onto, 
with a thing thread:  where I am from. 
Through the eyes, their hands, and whispers
of my parents.

At times dreaming of belonging to these lands
is important. The mystery of sitting on the stump
found along a dirt road in El Progreso, Guatemala. 
The dirt-heavy scent I can only imagine.
Then the wonder about how tall
 cornfields may 
be in El Salvador. How they stand tall, 
and if maybe they bend. Or do they billow beneath
the bodies of woman hiding from the sun. 

1 comment:

  1. I think this poem begins so strongly -- we're immediately oriented to situation and place and everything we need to know. I love "this place lives in mosaics." I love that we immediately know what's at stake, but that we're also shown so much specificity. This is such a strong poem. I love how it begins with these very specific descriptions to understand your parents and then turns inward to the speaker/you. I think the piece adds an interesting discussion to the themes of our class. I think part of "where we're from" is history -- you've never been to Guatemala, but the place is still a part of who you are, b/c it's a part of your family's history and a part of the stories you were given from them -- and "where we're from" is also where we grew up and the places of our present history. I was thinking about that, writing my own response. I claim the history of my hometown, even though my grandmother, for example, came from NY, not PA - but that, too, is a part of my history, b/c she gave me stories and gave me pieces of my dialect.

    ReplyDelete