Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Where I Come From

My Life in the desert is much like an enigma.
 “Many plants not only survive, but thrive in the harsh conditions.”

My home is in the desert, where it has been desolate and harsh.
My body yearns for water in the aridness of the land.
Quenching my physical thirst brings me only to become thirsty for a spiritual and mental
knowledge.
A knowledge that is often not taught in school.
A knowledge that teaches the intricacies of my peoples past
barren and vast, a history that is slowly shaping this young and innocent mind.
A knowledge that will grow with the land in both strength and humility

a knowledge much greater than myself.


1 comment:

  1. This poem speaks to how the landscape and environment can affect us not just bodily but intellectually. There is something about this place that seems to make us seek more knowledge. There's an openness physically to the land here and an openness I've found in the people of this place that prompts us to want to know more about history and about each other.

    ReplyDelete