Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Where I'm From

Where I’m From
 I am from speed bump city,
From a place where work gets done the day after tomorrow, and where people go to find peace and refuge.
I am from the buzzing of the television, and the hypnotizing aroma of my mother’s cooking.  
I am from a place where chopping logs on a daily basis isn’t ordinary. Where sawdust trails off into your eyes and ears, and a comforting woodstove during the harsh winters.
I am from tasty enchiladas, tacos, and beans every Saturday, but only after we fix windows, and install mirrors and shower doors. Where Ed, Jer, and Gabe constantly cracked jokes, and make work fun and amusing at my father’s humble business.
I am from competition and miscommunication,
Where image, excellence, and hard work is only acceptable.  
I am from a place where church was only interesting when my grandpa was singing,
And my misinterpretation of the Spanish language delayed my passage to enlightenment.
I'm from the Carrillos, where turkey and posole are appropriate for the Cowboy games on Thanksgiving Day.  
From watching my dad coach my brothers and I. Where he would yell out to the field, making sure that we were in our right positions. Where he would usually disagree with the umpire’s call, and would usually get kicked out of the ball games. A place where he would show his love, and where he showed that he would never stop fighting for his sons.  

I am Joshua Garcia, and I am from Santa Fe.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your poems makes me feel so nostalgic for this beautiful place I moved to, that I won't live in much longer. Sounds like you and your family have some really beautiful traditions. This is a complex and wonderful land.

    ReplyDelete