Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Chapter 9 Pathologies of Power



While reading chapter 9 of Pathologies of Power by Paul Farmer, I noticed myself becoming angrier at the injustices around the world. Facts that Farmer gives his readers puts into perspective the level of injustice such as “Hatian factory worker, most of them women, make 28 cents per how sewing Pocahontas pajamas, while Disney's U.S.-based chief executive officer makes 97,000 for each hour he toils.” (Farmer 194) This was ludicrous to me and I was thinking to myself, how could the world be so removed from this type of injustice?  Simple, as a nation we face our own injustices and oppression, and the thought of taking on another countries oppression would only leave us to think that an issue like this is to big to combat, and probably so. When we expand the concept of rights to include social and economic rights, the gap between ideal and reality is even wider and harder to grasp. 


No comments:

Post a Comment