Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Response to Chapter 3 of MLA, “MEXICO: The Taming of a Revolution”

        The brief synopsis of Mexico's recent history and emergence from revolutionary leadership toward more stable governance was interesting. It seems that part of the struggle for Mexico is the same struggle that we have in the U.S., a struggle to find our own national identity. The large geography and mixed history of both the United States and Mexico would seem to help contribute to the differing opinions about what our national identities should be. What seems to make things even harder for Mexico is their three party system of elections, with a winner take all system. The majority of Mexican voters may be left with a candidate that they didn't vote for and perhaps is the one they least wanted to win. In such a system, revolt makes sense to me, which is to say the electoral system does not make sense to me.
        With a poverty rate of 31%, I can definitely see why citizens of Mexico might turn to a more stable economic environment like the U.S.. The rate or immigration from Mexico was surprising to me though. I'd never heard or read before that there was the “equivalent of 9 percent of the population of Mexico” living in the U.S. as immigrants(79). Likewise, I found it surprising that the number of undocumented immigrants from Mexico makes up 2% of our country's population. I certainly know many undocumented immigrants here in New Mexico, largely from the school I work at. I just never conceived that 2 out of every 100 people in our borders are living with the struggle of being undocumented. After reading this chapter, I'm left genuinely surprised at the scale of our undocumented immigrant population and wondering why we haven't accomplished more in the way of meaningful immigration reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment